Program-Specific Information 项目具体信息：Chinese PhD (Biblical Studies)中文哲学博士 (圣经研究)
Purpose and Objectives目的和目标
This Chinese PhD program is intended to equip candidates for careers in theological education and research for churches in China and the broader Sinophone world. The Chinese PhD (Biblical Studies) in particular provides candidates with the advanced knowledge and skills needed to research, write, and make a scholarly contribution to the field of biblical studies.
Upon successfully completing the Chinese PhD (Biblical Studies) candidates will:
- Research and write at an advanced level of scholarship under the functional authority of Scripture
- Make a scholarly contribution to the field of Biblical Studies
- Present research results in a professional, organized, coherent, and structured manner in both written and oral form
- Function responsibly in the context of a supervisory relationship while exhibiting CIU’s core value of victorious Christian living
- 在指导关系的背景下负责任地发挥作用，同时展示 CIU 的得胜基督徒生活的核心价值
Achievement of these objectives will be evaluated through the production and defense of the candidate’s original work of academic research (90,000-110,000 words in English or 135,000-165,000 words in Chinese), which will be directed by a specialist in the candidate’s chosen field of study jointly appointed by the institute and CBS.
这些目标是否实现，将通过候选人的学术研究原创作品（90,000-110,000 英文字或 135,000-165,000 中文字）的写作和答辩来评估，这将由本学院和哥伦比亚圣经学院联合任命、候选人所属研究领域的专家指导完成。
The Chinese PhD (Biblical Studies) encompass the broad areas of biblical studies, including Old Testament, New Testament, Biblical Theology, and Hermeneutics. Candidates in these programs may choose to focus their research in any of these areas. Their objective is to make an original and significant contribution to their chosen field of study and, as a result, contribute to a more accurate understanding of the message of Christ as found in Scripture. The contribution, to be presented in the form of a doctoral dissertation, is expected to show considerable engagement with Sinophone scholarship in relevant areas of biblical studies as well as discussions on biblical issues pertinent to Chinese churches, broadly understood.
Applicants complete qualifying exams in either Biblical Hebrew or Greek depending on their areas of specialization. During their first two years of study, PhD candidates also complete proficiency exams in two theological research languages related to their dissertation topic. Candidates enrolled through this program must demonstrate reading comprehension in two languages other than the language in which they are writing their dissertations (see notes under “Completion Requirements” and “Program Design” below).
Admission Requirements 入学要求
In addition to the general admission requirements of the Chinese PhD programs at the institute, applicants should meet the following requirements in order for their applications to be considered by the admissions committee.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Doctrinal Standard
- Written confirmation and description of stable Internet access required for successful completion of the program (please include information such as the specific search engines available to the applicant)
- Official transcript for the highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned
- A minimum 3.5 GPA (or equivalent) for all graduate work
- 最近所获绩点不低于GPA 3.5（或同等水平）
- Proficiency in graduate-level theological studies, demonstrated by completion of an accredited Master of Arts (MA), Master of Divinity (MDiv), Master of Theology (ThM), or an overseas equivalent
- 精通研究生水平的神学研究，通过完成经认证的文学硕士 (MA)、道学硕士 (MDiv)、神学硕士 (ThM) 或海外同等学历证明。
- Biblical languages:
- New Testament: 4 semesters of Greek; 2 semesters of Hebrew
- 新约：4个学期的希腊语； 2 个学期的希伯来语
- Old Testament: 4 semesters of Hebrew; 2 semesters of Greek
- 旧约：4个学期的希伯来语； 2 个学期的希腊语
- Academic writing sample (5,000-6,000 words in English; 7,500-9,000 words in Chinese) demonstrating (1) proficiency in academic English or Chinese and (2) intellectual competency for doctoral studies
- 学术写作样本（5,000-6,000 英文字；7,500-9,000 中文字）以证明 (1) 精通学术英文或中文，并具有 (2) 博士研究的智识能力
- A Master’s thesis (English or Chinese)
- Preliminary research proposal (approximately 500 words in English or 750 words in Chinese)
- Two Academic References
Residency and Transfer Policy 驻校和转学分政策
Candidates are not required to study in residence. The initial three seminars are delivered online and candidates enrolled in courses offered in English have the option to complete their grading items (assignments, tests, exams, and papers) in Chinese to be evaluated by instructors appointed by the institute. The dissertation writing process is an independent research experience with a specialist, jointly approved and appointed by the institute and CBS, in the student’s chosen field of study.
A candidate may transfer in up to 6 hours, if he/she can demonstrate completion of the equivalent of BIB 9200 Issues and Methods and/or BIB 9400 Principles of Teaching, Learning, and Course Design.
若候选人能够证明完成了相当于BIB 9200“问题和方法”和/或BIB 9400“教学、学习和课程设计原则”的课程，则最多可转入6 个学分。
Completion Requirements 学位完成要求
- Successful completion of all required hours of specified coursework with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and with a grade of B or higher for all seminars
- 成功完成指定课程的所有必修课时，绩点不低于GPA 3.0，并且所有研讨会的成绩不低于B
- Successful completion of proficiency examinations in concentration-specific theological research languages*
- Successful completion of a dissertation proposal prepared under the supervision of a faculty mentor
- Successful completion of a comprehensive knowledge review under the supervision of a faculty mentor**
- Successful oral defense, in English or Mandarin, of a dissertation that is an original work of academic research written in English (90,000-110,000 words) or Chinese (135,000-165,000 words) before a committee of at least three internal and/or external faculty readers, jointly approved and appointed by the institute and CBS
- 在由本学院和CBS项目共同批准和任命、至少三名内部和/或外部人员组成的委员会面前，以英语或普通话成功答辩一篇以英文（90,000-110,000 字）或中文（135,000-165,000 字）撰写的学术研究原创作品
- Affirmation of the CIU doctrinal statement
- 确认 CIU 的教义声明
*Research Language I and II Prerequisites: candidates must demonstrate competency in an approved theological research language (usually German, French, or Latin). The competency can be demonstrated by taking an approved course at another institution and passing that course or by taking a proficiency exam administered by CIU. For candidates whose native language is not English, satisfactory English proficiency test results (see “General Admission Requirements” under “General Information”) may be used to satisfy the Research Language I requirement upon the written consent of the doctoral mentor. Native English speakers enrolled in the Chinese program are normally expected to use Chinese as either Research Language I or II. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the research language requirements as soon as possible. Candidates in the program will not be allowed to take Dissertation Research and Writing I (BIB 9901) until the Research Language I prerequisite has been met.
* 研究语言 I 和 II 的课前要求：候选人必须展示其在被认可的神学研究语言（通常是德语、法语或拉丁语）方面的能力。该能力可以透过在另一所学府参加经认证的课程并通过该课程或参加由 CIU 管理的能力测试来证明。对于母语非英语的考生，经博士生导师书面同意，英语水平测试成绩满意（见“一般信息”下的“一般入学要求”）者，可用于满足研究语言I要求。参加中文课程的母语为英语的人通常需要使用中文作为研究语言 I 或 II。强烈建议申请人尽快完成研究语言要求。在满足研究语言 I 的课前要求（即英语和中文以外的语言）之前，本项目的候选人将不允许参加论文研究和写作 I (BIB 9901)。
**Comprehensive Knowledge Review: candidates must demonstrate familiarity with concentration-specific knowledge areas. They demonstrate their familiarity during tutorial discussions with their dissertation mentors. They will not be allowed to take Dissertation Research and Writing V (BIB 9905) until they meet this prerequisite.
**综合知识复习：考生必须证明对特定专业知识领域的熟悉程度。其熟悉程度经由与论文导师的教程讨论中展示。在满足此课前要求之前，将不允许参加论文研究和写作 V (BIB 9905)。
Program Design 项目设计
This PhD (Biblical Studies) consists of 45 semester hours of study. The program is designed so that candidates who pursue their research and writing at the pace of 6 credits each semester should be able to complete their degrees in three years. Candidates who pursue their research and writing at the pace of 3 credits each semester should be able to complete their degrees in five years. If candidates extend their studies beyond the planned timeframe, they will pay a continuation fee for each semester they remain in the program. The foundational courses are offered in English and Chinese, and candidates enrolled in courses offered in English have the option of completing the required grading items (assignments and tests) in either English or Chinese.
Course of Study 项目学程 (45)
Foundation 基础课程 (9)
- BIB 9200 - Issues and Methods in Biblical Studies (3 credits)
- BIB 9200 - 圣经研究的问题和方法（3 学分）
- BIB 9400 - Principles of Teaching, Learning, and Course Design (3 credits)
- BIB 9400 - 教学、学习和课程设计的原则（3 学分）
- BIB 9900 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Proposal (3 credits)
- BIB 9900 - 圣经研究论文提案（3 学分）
- BLG 9690 - Biblical Languages Competency (no credit)
- BLG 9690 - 圣经语言能力 （无学分）
Dissertation 论文课程 (36)
- BIB 9901 - Dissertation Research and Writing I (6 credits)*
- BIB 9901 - 论文研究与写作 I（6 学分）*
- BIB 9902 - Dissertation Research and Writing II (6 credits)
- BIB 9902 - 论文研究与写作 II（6 学分）
- BIB 9903 - Dissertation Research and Writing III (6 credits)**
- BIB 9903 - 论文研究与写作 III（6 学分）**
- BIB 9904 - Dissertation Research and Writing IV (6 credits)
- BIB 9904 - 论文研究与写作 IV（6 学分）
- BIB 9905 - Dissertation Research and Writing V (6 credits)***
- BIB 9905 - 论文研究与写作 V（6 学分）***
- BIB 9906 - Dissertation Review & Dissertation (6 credits)
- BIB 9906 - 论文及论文检查（6 学分）
- BIB 9000 - Comprehensive Knowledge and Review (no credit)
- BIB 9000 - 综合知识及复习（无学分）
- RES 9690 - Research Language Competency I (no credit)****
- RES 9690 - 研究语言能力 I（无学分）****
- RES 9691 - Research Language Competency II (no credit)
- RES 9691 - 研究语言能力 II（无学分）
*Prerequisites: (1) Satisfactory English proficiency test result for candidates whose native language is not English and (2) RES 9690. See explanation for RES 9690 below.
*课前要求：(1) 母语非英语的候选人的英语水平测试结果令人满意，并且 (2)完成RES 9690。请参阅下面的 RES 9690 说明。
**Prerequisite: RES 9691
***Prerequisite: Comprehensive Knowledge and Review (BIB 9000)
****RES 9690: Candidates in these programs whose native language is not English may fulfill this requirement by providing satisfactory English proficiency test results (see “General Admission Requirement” under “General Information”). However, doctoral mentors may require candidates to demonstrate proficiency in an additional research language other than English and Chinese to meet this requirement.
The tuition fee for the Chinese PhD (Biblical Studies) is US$530/credit; each course is usually between 3 and 6 credits, and the annual tuition may be adjusted.
Staff and Mentors 员工和导师
All mentors in the Chinese PhD programs are fluent in English and Mandarin. Contracted on an adjunct basis, our growing list of mentors is comprised of highly qualified scholars in Intercultural Studies, Theological Studies, Biblical Studies, and Practical Theology.
Biblical Studies 圣经研究
Kai-Hsuan Chang (PhD, University of St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto) is Assistant Professor (New Testament) at Hong Kong Baptist Theological Seminary. Previously he served as Assistant Professor (New Testament) at China Evangelical Seminary, Taipei and Editor-in-Chief of China Evangelical Seminary Journal. He is the author of The Impact of Bodily Experience on Paul’s Resurrection Theology (Bloomsbury T&T Clark) and Apocalyptic Paul: The Cross of Christ as An Apocalyptic Event of God’s Transforming Grace (Campus Evangelical Fellowship Press, published in Chinese), as well as several peer-reviewed articles in Chinese and English. Professor Chang’s areas of interest include: Pauline theology, the Synoptic Gospels, Second Temple Judaism, Graeco-Roman culture and social structure, biblical hermeneutics, metaphors, and liturgy and religious experience in early Christianity.
张楷弦（多伦多大学所属圣米迦勒学院大学哲学博士）现任香港浸信会神学院新约助理教授。此前，他曾担任台北中华福音神学院新约助理教授和《华神期刊》主编。他著有《Bodily Experience on Paul’s Resurrection Theology》（Bloomsbury T&T Clark出版）和《天启保罗：保罗神学与重构世界的天启新秩序》（校园出版），以及多篇中英文同行评审论文。张教授的研究兴趣包括：保罗神学、对观福音、第二圣殿时期犹太教文献、希罗文化与社会结构、释经学、隐喻、早期基督教礼仪与宗教经验。
Wesley Hu (ThD, Toronto) is the fifth President of the International Chinese Biblical Seminary in Europe (ICBSE; commencing 2023). Prior to his appointment at ICBSE, he has been a long-time faculty member at China Evangelical Seminary, Taipei, having served in the capacities of Associate Professor (Old Testament), Academic Dean, ThM Director, and Director of International Affairs. He has authored eight books and numerous articles. His most recent academic volume is In the Mercy of God: Reading Hosea within the Prophetic Tradition (Campus Evangelical Fellowship Press, published in Chinese). Professor Hu is an expert on the Prophets. His published writings have also covered topics in Pentateuchal studies, Ruth, and other areas in or related to Old Testament scholarship.
Helen Jiao (PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is a core member of the Chinese Seminary Studies program at CIU. She supervises doctoral candidates in the broad area of New Testament studies.